Bariatric surgery in India
What is Bariatric Surgery ?
Bariatric surgery, also referred to as weight loss surgery, is the procedure done for those people who are severely obese. In this weight loss procedure, the size of the stomach is reduced by implanting gastric banding medical device. This can also be done by re-routing and resecting the small intestines to a small stomach pouch and the process is termed as gastric bypass surgery. The other way could be a removal of the stomach (Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch or sleeve gastrectomy).
Who should consider Bariatric Surgery ?
The candidates should possess these following qualifications so that they can be considered for this weight-loss surgery
- A candidate should have a BMI (Body Mass Index) in between 35-40. The candidate should also possess an obesity-related condition of diabetes mellitus, severe sleep apnea, cardiovascular disease and hypertension
- A candidate should have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 40 or more. The BMI in between 20-25 is considered as normal. The calculation of BMI is done by dividing the weight of a person in kilograms by height in meters squared.
Apart from these, a Bariatric surgery candidate should also be –
- Willing to exercise for at least ninety minutes each week.
- Overweight for more than 5 years.
- Is able and willing to make lifestyle and eating habit changes.
- Have had a short-term success with earlier serious attempts for weight loss.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
Gastric Sleeve ,Gastric Bypass Surgery ,Biliopancreatic Diversion ,LAP-BAND Surgery
Bariatric Surgery Procedure
Restrictive Procedure -The Lap Gastric Band : The surgery is primarily performed for decreasing the amount of food consumption at a time. The purpose is to create restriction so that a person feels satisfied with little amounts of food. Due to smaller outlet, the food remains in the stomach for a long time. The idea is to decrease daily calorie intake without a feeling of deprivation.
The benefits of gastric band includes-
- The stomach returns to its original form even if the band is removed.
- The recovery period is also slightly shorter.
- No cutting, removal or stapling of the stomach tissue is done
- The surgeon can easily control the size of the pouch outlet as the band is adjustable